NLP Academy Forums

using unconscious signals
Posted: 08 December 2012 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  30-11-2012

I love the new code idea of using the unconscious to choose the appropriate parts of the healing process. It is so intelligent. However I would like to question one or two aspects of this.
When ( in n step) the unconscious answers that it knows the positive intention … what exactly does this mean. There are many levels of intention and they all will produce a different response when asking the unconscious to make new behaviours (or whatever)
For example someone has a behaviour of never speaking out. The positive intention is to be safe … so that they can be comfortable with themselves…so that they can live their own life ….so that they can explore and take risks…so that they can enjoy and live life to the full.

Now apart from the paradox within this, there is the problem with what level of positive intention is guiding the new response in a new code situation. The response of getting new ways of being safe is going to be very different from the response of exploring and taking risks. So as a new code therapist how do you know at which level the unconscious is responding.
My experience is that the limiting behaviour was usually made by a part (?? Another map)) that was younger. This younger part has been doing the behaviour for years. The part usually has no idea of the positive intention, it only automatically produces the behaviour again and again simply because that is the nature of automatic response (it is unaware of the bigger picture). It keeps doing it because that is its program. It usually needs a lot of help to persuade it that its automatic response that seemingly achieves (but often doesn’t ) some low level positive intention, does not work. This is an ingrained habituated response remember.
Now I know the unconscious is flexible and willing but sometimes I hesitate that the question: ‘do you know the positive intention of this behaviour’ is enough to get to the nitty gritty of the situation.
A response that supports safety may be as limited as the old response whereas a response that just fulfills the positive intention of being curious and taking risks may not be feasible for the client because it does not cover the safety aspect.
Perhaps a better question to the unconscious would be: ‘ can you find better ways to fulfill ALL THE LEVELS OF THE POSITIVE INTENTION OF THE OLD BEHAVIOUR’.

Now this is a sort of question that an nlp persons unconscious would understand because they have digested and lived with this language and these concepts. So an nlp person is an educated client. Perhaps to the unconscious of a person off the street this question is like another language and as such the unconscious may have difficulties in following instructions.
so is there not some room for expanding the understanding around this part of the intervention.
yours anekant

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed