NLP Academy Forums

Using NLP to Eliminate Problem Drinking
Posted: 16 July 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  16-07-2012

What are the most useful NLP techniques for eliminating problem drinking?

I have two problem drinker clients who are a couple. Every weekend one binge drinks adding cocaine and prostitutes while the other drinks one bottle of champagne daily.
Grinder and Bandler in their book Reframing (1982) mention the use of collapsed anchors is very effective. By establishing two anchors, one sober and the other drunk, collapsing the anchors allows the two dissociated parts to communicate each other.

Once the anchors have been collapsed the client goes into an altered state that creates a pathway whereas the two parts can begin communicating. Follow with N-Step Reframe yielding alternatives that give immediate gratification.

Put client in a trance and reframe the craving such that it becomes a cravving to do something else.
Test.

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 17 July 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

-Intention individually and intention together
-Place (triggers)

Once you know this there are pardon the pun a whole cocktail of techniques you can use, just remember the change needs to be at the same logical level and accepted unconsciously and consciously.

J

Posted: 29 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  29-08-2012

Hi Tim,
I am new to this forum and was intrigued with your post.  I am a recovering alcoholic, so I have some insight into the issue.  NLP aside for the moment, are your clients addicts or just heavy users?  There is a difference, addiction whether to alcohol or drugs is a disease that attacks both mind and body.  If your clients are addicts I would highly encourage you to encourage them to get involved with a Twelve Step Program, AA, NA, CA.

NLP can be very helpful and effective in helping people in recovery, I use it myself.  I think that Twelve Step programs and NLP training can work wonders.  I am sure that you are aware that addiction is a disease which has no cure.  The only way to deal with this disease is complete abstinence from all mind altering drugs.  After one is fairly secure in their abstinence then the real work begins.  I drank not because I loved being drunk, but because I hated being sober.  A big part of recovery is learning how to live as a happy sober person.

You are very correct in working on collapsing anchors; we call them “triggers” in AA.  The addicts Map is so skewed and distorted from years of chemical abuse that they basically have to be almost completely redrawn. I have found in my own recovery process that really examining my Meta-States are of infinite value. I have found the experience to be much like pealing an onion. Each state frames the one preceding it.  I work in the drug and alcohol addiction field and would love to see more NLP used here as traditional therapy is next to useless in my experience. Just some comments.
Bill

Posted: 17 September 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  17-09-2012

Very good!

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  16-09-2012

I believe I drink a bit too much.  I never drink during the day.  I never drink when I go out.  But I have a drinking ritual.  When I put the kids to bed, its the end of the day,when all of my responsibilities are done, I crack open the beers.  Probably too many of them.  That is my “santuary time”.

I have tried various NLP to cut back or eliminate this.  All have failed.

Recently I saw Mr Grinder’s brief tape on Youtube about Drinking Alchohol.  I think he hit the nail on the head.  However, there is a part one with no follow up part.  I don’t see Mr Grinder’s work for sale—dvd, etc.  I live in the USA and amazingly, there is no Grinder associate nearby.

Mr Grinder’s work seems head and shoulders above the “other” NLP practioners in the USA.

So, I have a lead, but have been unsuccessful on a follow up.

Posted: 31 December 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

Come follow up with us here in the UK, we’re joined every year by great people from the states who like you intend to study with John. http://www.nlpacademy.co.uk/courses/view/nlp_premier_practitioner/

Happy new year!

Jack

Posted: 01 September 2016 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  19-08-2016

I think NLP and self hypnosis workshop is effective at identifying the influences on the drinking problem and in helping the client make gentle change without having to relive or disclose private ‘stuff.

[ Edited: 02 September 2016 02:31 PM by David Smith ]

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed