NLP Academy Forums

Children & Phobia
Posted: 01 May 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  01-05-2012

Hi Mike,

I’m interested in any advice you can give on working with children!  I’m just starting out as an NLP practitioner and have a session booked with a friend’s daughter (aged 5) who has a severe dog phobia.  This has generalised to a fear of cats and some other animals as well - so she’s doing well!

Does the fast phobia cure tend to work well with children of this age and if so, have you any tips for how best to use it - i.e. moderating language, drawing pictures, etc.  I was also thinking about playing around with submodalities and using humour wherever possible. 

Grateful for any advice you can give on this one!

Many thanks.

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 01 May 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

I can’t speak for Michael, but I’ve found the use of metaphor very effective when used with kids, and then generalise the metaphors to the patterning you wish to use, whether that be submodalities, anchoring…...

I also highly recommend the new code of NLP for use with kids, they absolutely love the games!!

Good luck

Posted: 04 May 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

Hi Jules

Yes the fast phobia model does work with kids. You can set it up in a playful way. Kids love pretend games, so there is no problem in setting up a ‘pretend cimema’ and play with movies of dogs, cats as well watching movies of things the child finds more exploring. This way the youngster is unconcsious;y learning about her own internal represenations.

As Jack pointed out the New Code of NLP is great for working with young people

Regards

Michael

Posted: 20 May 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  20-10-2011

So, in the context of a phobia session run a New Code Game and a fast phobia model and test?

Posted: 21 May 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

Hi Thom

Yes that’s one model!!

Of course when the client is there with you other stuff may come up and you have to utilise that for success. E.g if someone keeps talking about Parts of them it would be a good idea to integrate those parts, so a parts integration process would be a good idea, everyone is different.

Some meta modelling, outcomes, phobia model and NC game is a good template for use in sessions! Though I’ve had times when just one simple intevention has changed everything. Go out use the template, practice and ultimatley you’ll no exactly what to do with the client in front of you purely unconsciously.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed