NLP Academy Forums

A Perceptual Positions Process to explore Characterlogical Adjectives
Posted: 28 December 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  04-12-2011

Dear all,

I wonder whether anyone would be kind enough to review the following exercise I’ve been experimenting with and offer any suggestions, feedback, or advice… It arose as I thought around how I could utilise characterlogical adjectives, multiple description and perceptual positions…

Thanks

Gareth

Characterlogical Adjective Exploration Process

This exercise can be used for any demanding interpersonal situation or experience where you experience yourself as unresourceful and lacking a variety of choice in relation to the other person (or persons) involved. In preparation, mark out 3 spaces on the floor (or use 3 chairs) for each of the 3 Perceptual Positions…

i. In Position 1, choose an adjective to describe how you see the other person(s) in this situation, e.g. aggressive, defensive, controlling, apologetic, anxious, uncertain, demanding, needy, etc
ii. Choose an adjective to describe how you are in response to this
iii. Utilise Perceptual Positions to explore your representations/perceptions of the adjectives chosen and your own and the other person’s position in this situation: Use the Frames and Questions of the Outcome, Intention, Consequence Model and Description, Evaluation, Interpretation Model within the context of the Perceptual Positions Exercise (exploring Outcome, Intent & Consequences and asking yourself questions about the way you are describing, evaluating and interpreting such) – starting in Position 1 and then stepping into Position 2 to enhance your learnings about self and other. 
iv. Re-integrate the learnings from Positions 1 & 2 into 1st Position
v. Move to Position 3 and use the Frames & Questions as outlined above in step iii to explore the wider systemic Outcomes, Intents and Consequences from an Observer position (Utilise your skills with unconscious signals and cues to gain access to intuitions and sense-experiences to understand such) and secondly to increase the number of possible descriptions and adjectives that could be used to describe the situation under review (multiple description).
vi. Re-integrate the wider systemic learnings from Position 3 into 1st Position and acknowledge there will be contexts where this information could be very useful to you (without consciously over-specifying what they may be so as to cue the unconscious to review the ecology and contexts so framed)…
vii. Sleep on it…

Additional Elements and Ideas that could be incorporated:

- In step i access a Know Nothing State first (i.e. deepen breathing, relax foveal vision, increase peripheral vision, loosen jaw and open mouth slightly to quieten down internal dialogue, etc) and then commence Process
- After Step ii decide whether the interaction can best be coded as Symmetrical, Complimentary or Asymmetrical and then after step vi utilise an N Step Reframe Process to request of the Unconscious the generation of new behavioural choices with regard to usefully responding to the interaction pattern identified in step ii, within the context under review
- And/Or after Step vi use a New Code Game (or equivalent) to access a high performance state and step back into 1st Position…

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed