NLP Academy Forums

Sleep problems
Posted: 01 February 2010 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  29-01-2010

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have spent the last week just browsing and have found it most enlightening.

Does anyone know, or has anyone ever dealt with sleep problems using NLP? Michael, can you give any advice?

I have a friend who is at the end of her tether and has tried hypnosis and sleep therapists for the last 6 or 7 years

As a Practitioner how would you approach this challenge?

best wishes and see you all on Wednesday for the boardbreak!

Signature 

The Weight Loss Coach
http://Www.nlpweightlosscoach.net

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 01 February 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum. I knew of a couple of people who used the alphabet game successfully for working with sleep problems. As the alphabet game is quite active, I was quite surprised myself at this, but when I thought about the alphabet game takes you to state of no internal dialogue.

The other thing would be to work with any anxieties the person has in her life.

Michael

Posted: 02 February 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  29-01-2010

Thank you for that Michael.
See you tomorrow night
bets wishes

Signature 

The Weight Loss Coach

Posted: 03 February 2010 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

See you tonight Phil

Michael

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  21-09-2009

Phil, hi - have you tried out any new way of helping your friend yet? Has anything turned out to be efficient/inefficient?

Dymitr

Posted: 09 February 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  29-01-2010

Hi Dymitr,
I have given Michael’s idea of the Alphabet game a try. I have coached her partner on how to coach her through the process before she goes to bed at night. I’ll let you know when I have some feedback.
Thanks for your interest
best wishes

Signature 

The Weight Loss Coach

Posted: 11 February 2010 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Thanks smile
Awaiting your feedback
Dymitr

Posted: 02 March 2010 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  29-01-2010

Hi Guys
It is very frustrating for me as this woman hasn’t come to me directly and I am coaching her partner. I have found out that she was doing the alphabet game at around 6-8 0’Clock and not going to bed until 10 ish!

In the mean time I tried something I read Erickson used to do (In “Conversations with Milton Erickson” by Jay Haley). I told her instead of going downstairs and reading a magazine for twenty minutes when she woke up, to get out the ironing board and iron for half an hour (something she detests). She made a commitment to do this and it reduced the times she woke up from 3 or 4 times a night to just once. So an improvement.

I have reiterated the alphabet game LAST thing at night. I’ll keep you informed.

Cheers

Signature 

The Weight Loss Coach

Posted: 02 March 2010 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Thanks, Phil. Fingers crossed. I am curious how she’s constructed the context in the change format - if that is what she finds ok to tell.
Dymitr

Posted: 30 January 2011 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  03-11-2010

This alphabet game might work for me. I will try this one of these nights.. grin

Posted: 31 January 2011 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Check also floating

Posted: 14 April 2011 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  16-12-2009

I know this is probably stating the obvious, but as we are all individuals and all behaviour has a ‘positive intent’ I am wondering how you can help the woman address her sleeping difficulties without working with her directly!

For example, over the years I have myself battled with poor sleep patterns and for a while I thought it was something I just had to accept.  I had lots of helpful advice such as don’t drink coffee after 6pm, don’t watch TV/work on the computer 2 hours before bed, drink something milky, have a hot bath, meditate, do physical exercise etc. etc. etc.  All had limited impact, however. 

Then in a breakthrough moment, I realised that there was a positive intention behind my unconscious mind stopping me from going into a deep sleep.  I recalled that many years ago, I had been woken up from a deep sleep by a stranger entering in my bedroom, kneeling by my bed-side and holding my hand!  Unsurprisingly, I had been completely freaked out and since then have slept ‘with one ear open’. 

So…my intervention has been to work with my unconscious mind to reach an agreement that it is safe to let go and to sleep (as I need to heal and regenerate), and if there is any reason why I need to wake, then my unconscious will alert me. (Okay… and maybe, sometimes, I still lock the door!)

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed