NLP Academy Forums

Values elicitation/intervention NLP Academy style
Posted: 14 September 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-09-2011

I was going through the NLPedia Master Prac and enjoying the session on values.  Typically I see clients for weight loss and whilst I mainly use hypnotherapy but work over 4 sessions in a Gastric Band Hypnosis package and I build in some time to use NLP (I have a classic code Master Practitioner, doing the Academies Master Prac in Nov).

The values elicitation method looked pretty comprehensive.  ie:

Abstraction Check,
Syntax Check,
Motivation Direction check,
Unconcious check
Future pace.

How ever I was not clear on the best starting point as that wasn’t clear to me from the DVD’s.  The lady in the NLPedia looked at Health and her elicitation revolved around that.  Typically my clients will see me for weight loss, but this will be bundled up in a number of different issues so it may be that health, fitness or something else is the starting point. 

My working theory would be that I would start with a TOTE and ask the client what they want, perhaps do a simple values elicitation to chunk up and then use the result as the starting point.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Having rewatched the episode I can see that when values are in conflict you start with something very all encompassing and then move on to more specific areas, however it would still be useful to know the approach for a given presenting issue to get the starting point to carry out a more comprehensive values elicitation etc.

[ Edited: 17 September 2011 09:06 PM by Damian ]
Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.
Posted: 14 October 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

Thanks for the post.

Just to give you a quick backdrop about the context of the value elicitation from the NLPedia.

This was done in a breakthrough session which last roughly 3 hours, the values elication proceeds any of the actual interventions and is done after taking a detailed personal history of the client, to enable the change agent to have an idea as to the patterns the client is consistently taking in this context.

Often in a one to one session a client will come in with a very specific context, we will use the example you gave weight loss, this has been clearly framed to the client. So we work with weight loss, if the client loses the weight job done, right? Will we have covered the underlying issues around this context and what caused them to gain weight in the first place, or feel bad about themselves, esteem ect… we hope so.

IF we work with the overall context, for example in the weight loss case, Health we cover all the bases with the client and the LARGER LOGICAL LEVEL, which covers everything underneath it.

For example in my last breakthrough session this was some of the contexts that came up, after the detailed itinerary, values and outcomes stage.

•  Seeing Kids grow up
•  Weight
•  Confidence> Gained through feeling good about themselves
•  Diet > The larger reason for the weight gain in the first place
•  Work> Promotion
•  Relationships> after losing the weight
•  Bullying
•  Personal Image
•  Family > Family history
•  Long term health
•  Financial independence

Some of these are related to weight loss specifically, some such as financial independence, relationships, promotion are not directly linked, though they are interlinked and impact on the overall context. It is no surprise that after a breakthrough session a client will often raise work performance, confidence, financial independence, better personal image and guess what, reach their target weight, this is not a fluke or an accident. Where do values come into this?

Through the values stage we worked out exactly what were important about these contexts and the larger context of health. Now what will happen after the session?

After the session all of these values changed and every session I have ever done this has been the case.

The values acted as a convincer to the client that they had changed their way of thinking, and they now have a clearer picture of how they will take ACTION after the session so they can be more healthy and achieve their goals and much more .

It is easy to focus on the values.

My proposition is that work and learn how to use the values but do not focus on them as they are a conscious process, and describing your true feelings about a context is a incredibly difficult thing to do. I could tell you my linguistic representation of Love as could you, but it would by impossible to truly represent what unconditional lovely is.

To answer your question, I would simply ask the client to list what is important to them about the chosen context, they will usually give you 6 – 8 values, you may need to frame exactly what you mean by this prior, and then I would do the changework and then ask for the values again after the work has been done to see if the values have shifted and for the client to have that conscious and unconscious convincers

Posted: 14 October 2011 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-09-2011

Thanks Jack,

[ Edited: 15 October 2011 03:46 AM by Damian ]
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed