NLP Academy Forums

Introducing Myself: Paul Harrison
Posted: 06 July 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  30-06-2010

Hi folks… thought I’d follow the tradition here, and introduce myself, my “NLP Goals”, and background.

I’m sort of a “NLP old-timer” and “fresh NLP” person at the same time. My original certification was in “NLP New Code”, taught by Derek Balmer, in 1997 (NLP Canada, located in Toronto, Ontario- relatively close to where I work and live). I followed through with it until 2003, then life took some very strange turns for awhile and now in 2010 I’m back at it.

Professionally - I work in the computer field (self employed, consultant, fairly large range of skills). I took NLP originally for self-improvement, access to accelerated learning, few other things. Found it had a lot more to offer, and started exploring and growing the skills.

I have done some consulting using entirely NLP (ie, completely outside the computer field) assisting therapists in locating problem points in clients (mostly meta-model work, I’m quite talented at spotting and altering patterns and loops, in both computers and people). I’ve used the NLP skills for a lot of self-work, helping out friends and family, and I find hypnosis provides a nice complementary skill as well- extra tools for use as the occasion requires smile .

In 2010, I went back and got my Eriksonian Hypnosis certification (taught by Dr. Mike Mandel), went for a refresher of my NLP training, signed up for the “Trainer’s Training” (the July 2011 class, if I can manage it, 2012 worst case scenario), and started to review the NLPedia.

The seven year gap in my life where I was away from NLP (at least on the concious layer) gives a strange feeling of “jumping in time”, seeing NLP history suddenly unfold all at once.

I’ve been comparing my original training notes (1997) to my new training notes (2010) and to the NLPedia. It’s like seeing “history change” but all at once. When you live in a city, the changes happen so gradually over the years it seems natural, if you go back to your home town you grew up in after being away for 20 years… your map of “home town”, vivid in the mind, doesn’t match anymore with the territory. Readjustment is fast - but evolution folks have taken for granted and is out of concious mind for them stands out to you, perhaps now you are seeing what is fundamental and necessary to the town, and what areas change and evolution is allowed ?

Some of the techniques and exercises from my original training - unchanged. Some are modified, improved. Others have been dropped, and new techniques/exercises take their place. There’s some new terminology added to describe things we noticed before but didn’t have words for, and some have been dropped as redundant (in the current NLP New Code - I’ve only seen “concious / subconcious” type references… the “1st attention / 2nd attention” references have disappeared… ).

So I’m “back home”.... and I’ve got both maps, the old one and the new. The “NLP home town” has grown a bit, the streets are allowing for a bit more traffic, the population has grown, some former dead-end roads have been replaced with a couple of major highways. It still has a nice friendly feel, and as before, it’s about the growth and well-being of those that choose to live here, and even the visitors that are just passing through.

The “Trainer’s Training” fits nicely with my background, my goals, and my other interests…. . I have taught night school (for computers), many years ago, and found it very rewarding, passing knowledge and skills to others. I’ve been active in Toastmasters on-and-off over the years, including helping to found a Toastmasters club (Toastmasters is about public speaking, for those that haven’t heard of it… and it’s a very rewarding experience). I’m started Improv to “re-connect with my inner child” (and have a great deal of fun in the process).

I would like to slowly, over time (years), transition my career from “Systems Consulting / Implementation” to something that involves training, with heavy focus on people. Perhaps start slowly, sub-contracting myself out to academys/institutes that need an extra capable trainer short term, perhaps there’s other better ways to transition, or some combination I haven’t considered yet…. one thing at a time: This next year is heavy review time, develop great secondary skills that synergize with NLP skills, and a combination of “have fun with it” and “do something useful for others/self” with it. smile

I’m hoping to learn from others on this forum as well, and if opportunity presents, participate in refining potentially new ideas and/or techniques, or perhaps my own experiences may have given me something I can contribute back to the community.

I’ve got a lot of questions- but I’ll check posts first before posting new ones, odds are others may have already asked them, and answers may already be available.

Hope to see you folks in the discussion areas !

-Paul Harrison

Signature 

Paul CR Harrison
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 08 July 2010 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

HI Paul

Welcome to the forum

I look forward to the discussions to come smile

jack

Posted: 08 July 2010 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  30-06-2010

Thanks Jack !

Already going through the NLPedia…. enough changes have taken place to make things interesting, but it’s close enough to my original classes that it’s easy to “get the updates”. smile.

Got a list of questions/observations on the go (ie, “why did <whichever> exercise get renamed to <new name> ?” , “why was 1st attention/2nd attention distinctions replaced with <new terminology>” ?).

Back when I taught computers (night school), my first class was always contained a “mini-history” lesson. Gave the names of people responsible for making things happen, and the “why’s” that motivatd them (manuals and most classes tend to skip this…). The idea is that if they knew what had come before their “starting point”, and how things changed to “make their current starting point”, they’d get a feel for the flow of change going on, they could anticipate the road ahead a bit beyond what was in immediate sight. They could become a part of the proces as events and changes unfold… .

I’m seeing the current information, but also “this changed, this didn’t” and asking “why”.... there’s information there. (Sometimes nothing magic, sometimes an insight of “this is what they’ve learned”.....).

Thanks again for the warm welcome… saving up the questions so I can make smaller and richer posts in the future…..

Cheers folks !

Signature 

Paul CR Harrison
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed