NLP Academy Forums

Using Sanctuary
Posted: 17 June 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  19-04-2010

Hi Michael

I have an on-going telephone coaching client and we met up for the first time last Tuesday for a face to face meeting.  ‘X’ has mentioned thoughts and feelings of powerlessness with a number of situations at work and really wants to be more resourceful in dealing with them more often… blurr, blurr. blurr.  Anyway, I asked X if they would be willing to try an technique I’d learnt from my NLP course, and they were.  So I took X through the Sanctuary Exercise.  It took a number of attempts to get from Sanctuary to the context as X kept accessing unsupportive inner dialogue. 

I must admit, for a moment, I started to doubt my ability to take X through the exercise successfully.  Anyway X did go through the exercise and it was really warming to observe X wandering around in the context, with a smile, at ease, breathing smooth and regular, and backbone straight with good posture, compared to the tension, upset, fear, amongst other things at the start of the exercise.

X wanted to tell me all about the context and go into the detail of the experience, which I discouraged, but the question remains, how will I know if the intervention worked?  What could we discuss about the exercise without detracting from the sanctuary experience back in the ‘real world’?

Also, the next morning I woke up about 4am, anxious about some training I’m going to be doing with another trainer.  After about 1 & half hours of unsuccessfully trying to go back to sleep, I got up and went through the Sanctuary exercise for myself.  It was a bit strange trying to self calibrate as well as being in the moment as I walked towards my unresourceful state.  I retreated back to sanctuary about 4 or 5 and I do think I achieved a shift.  I was definitely able to go back to sleep and I do feel differently about the context.  Do you have any comments?

Has anyone else used Sanctuary?  What has been your experience?

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 21 June 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  30-03-2010

One thing that I would be very careful of,  is not to get confused with Sanctuary and State Transference. In sanctuary we do not let the client go into the context the Client is only responding to the triggers that lead to powerless or a unresourceful state, the client then jumps back to sanctuary, this allows them to be aware of all what they see/hear and feel when they are in the situation so that they are aware of their triggers so thay can prevent the issue being a issue.

In state transference we bring the resource state and go straight into the context rooooooaaaaaarrr lol
Is this what you used state transference?

Posted: 29 February 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  29-02-2012

hi

i have learnt about sanctuary last weekend and it helped me to overcome my public speaking anxiety a bit.
however i have a problem with applying it to other context - it doesnt seem to work. Can anyone help me?

so..
I would like to be more motivated with writing my assignments for university - so what do i put in the Sanctuary now? do i put still a nice same peaceful place or do i put myself when motivated? and when i walk to the context - is it obviously me doing my university work?

thanks a lot for replying

Ursula

Posted: 16 March 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  22-09-2009

Hi Ursula

Perhaps another one of the New code exercises would be more suitable? Such as a HPS state incurred with the alphabet game/alphatouch/nasa ect….

As sanctuary is usually better suited to working with personal contexts that clients do not want to access or if they do access be able to use the sanctuary state.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed