NLP Academy Forums

Jack Carroll: My introduction to NLP
Posted: 14 December 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  14-12-2009

I recently joined this site and have been flicking through the various forum threads, and thought it was about time to introduce myself to other people who have the same mutual interest as me.

I was quiet lucky to unknowingly be brought up around NLP. NLP to me was always something that “Daddy did” and me and my Brothers and Sisters would occasionally pop along to a seminar of his, to watch our Dad (Michael Carroll)  perform and usually get treated to a nice lunch as well, I think lunch was a major motivation. As I grew up, significant people from the field entered my life. I originally thought they were just my Dad’s friends, who would play games with us and we would go out for family meals with them. I now know that I was extremely lucky to meet major figures in NLP, John Grinder (co creator) Carmen Bostic St Clair, Stephen Gilligan, John Overdurf, and Sid Jacobson to name a few. I indirectly learned a lot from them. Great people to have around, especially John Grinder who always showed an interest in my development.

After this early background into NLP, I suddenly stopped going to seminars once I hit the terrible teens. I did everything to distance myself away from it, I became like a lot of people, a sceptic. One day I was playing a football match, and unfortunately like a lot of footballers, I broke my foot I was absolutely devastated, I couldn’t work, I couldn’t go to the gym and I couldn’t play football. I remember my Father telling me a story about how he remained positive and made positive changes to his life after he broke his leg and against medical protocol was out of hospital in three weeks, five months ahead of schedule and totally changed his life for the better. When I myself broke my foot my Father said to me “I bet you won’t heal quickly like me, but you do know your bones are Carroll bones and they can heal quickly, will they heal as quickly as mine?.” He told me also to read all about my injury and how bones heal. My original thoughts diplomatically termed were, “how the hell do you expect me to heal quickly, I have a completely broken bone.” my second reaction was “I’ll show you”. As I now had this time off, I’d thought I’d make the most of my time, I walked 2 miles into town everyday, went out to social events, learnt how to sew, read a lot, I made sure it didn’t get me down. After 9 days it was time to go to hospital to get a new full cast, which I couldn’t have before due to the swelling. To the doctors and my amazement, the bone was fully healed. My original reaction was “Wow, How the hell did this just happen”. After a lot of reading,  my father gave his explanation, that knowing my competitive nature he challenged my unconscious to heal the bone. This kick-started my interest in NLP and here I am today working at the NLP Academy soaking up all the knowledge I can find.

I’m really enjoying consciously learning more NLP, as previously I had learned form unconscious absorption. I’m finding it interesting to put labels on things that I have previously been doing unconsciously for years. I am in the forum to interact and share stories on personal development. It would be great to hear your experiences.

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 18 December 2009 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-09-2009

Hi Jack

Enjoyed your post, look forward to the discussions ahead.

Posted: 12 March 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  03-11-2010

Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) studies the structure of how humans think and experience the world. Obviously, the structure of something so subjective does not lend itself to precise, statistical formulae but instead leads to models of how these things work. From these models, techniques for quickly and effectively changing thoughts, behaviors and beliefs that limit you have been developed.

‹‹ Now then!      Alireza Naderi ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed