NLP Academy Forums

What makes a great NLP/New Code exercise partner?
Posted: 20 October 2009 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-09-2009

I’d love to get some opinions from the collective experience / wisdom here, and apply the ideas in exercise situations.

I imagine the skills required for both the coach and client roles are different, what would make a great coach or a great client, without necessarily having previous experience of those roles? Has any modelling been done on this?

I’m interested in a wide range of responses, really basic comments are great and any thoughts appreciated.

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 21 October 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  20-09-2009

Hi Hobgoblin,

I’d said rather broadly that you need define the desired outcomes/ goals more clearly and explicitly.

How would you define great ? what is great for me might not be for you etc. This definition may change over time and may only be relevant to a specific situation.Once you have defined what this outcome of ‘greatness’ is/means you can then set about defining what qualities are needed to achieve it.

Another idea is that what is most important is what ‘works’ for you - that which you may not know about until the outcome has been achieved -these could be the subjective qualities that pass under your conscience awareness.

Thanks

Ben

Posted: 22 October 2009 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

I’d love to get some opinions from the collective experience / wisdom here, and apply the ideas in exercise situations

You have presented a nice ambiguity in the phrase ‘exercise situations’.

Do you mean NLP exercises?

Or physical exercise?

Michael

Posted: 22 October 2009 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

Thanks for the replies, I’ve learned something different to what I was originally hoping for red face  LOL

I was thinking about what would make a ‘great’ NLP/New code exercise partner, and understand now how that can be read in different ways. What I had in mind was an NLP/New code course, and the situation where exercises are set with partner(s) as part of the course. Interesting how things can be clear in my own head, yet get communicated very ambiguiously !

Ben, I take on board what you said, ‘great’ is a nominalisation and the last paragraph. Suzy,  looked at the link, and finding it interesting project to read about.

If I attempt a rewording of the original question - What would you hope for from someone who you chose or were allocated to work with on a course exercise? Or what would put you off working with them again? How does someone ‘do well’ in your opinion in the coach or client role? I realise this may be very subjective, so by modelling I meant are there any approaches that are always found to be useful for coach/client roles?

I haven’t really done NLP course exercises with others before, only things like questions and answers with someone else at an evening session. And I have booked to do a course soon ..... how to approach it, where best to start when Michael says find a partner and get on with it or whatever.

Best Wishes

H

Posted: 22 October 2009 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

Michael,

Thanks for your reply, not there when I started my last post, I took so long to reply, lol I found you had posted in the meantime!

H

[ Edited: 22 October 2009 12:53 AM by Hobgoblin ]

Posted: 22 October 2009 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  22-09-2009

I would say that you should try and work with as many different people as possible. We’re all different and that offers us the chance to learn something new each time, to develop flexibility.

Posted: 22 October 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  01-10-2009

If I attempt a rewording of the original question - What would you hope for from someone who you chose or were allocated to work with on a course exercise? Or what would put you off working with them again? How does someone ‘do well’ in your opinion in the coach or client role? I realise this may be very subjective, so by modelling I meant are there any approaches that are always found to be useful for coach/client roles?

On an NLP Academy course we encourage you to continually work with different people. This means you get to practice with a cross section of people gearing you up for real world appliactions.

On courses, some people become very cosy with others and the continually seek out a person who they have a natural rapport with to do an excerise. This is not a good idea, you will learn far more form doing excercises with people where there is not a natural rapport who even could be percieved as diffficult.

Regards

Michael

Posted: 23 October 2009 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

A wide variety of partners makes sense, real world application will require dealing with everyone and anyone.

So in the client role just be your normal, difficult self grin  They may not work with you again, but you’ve offered a learning experience - cool.

In the coach role how does a beginner offer value, a useful experience, to the ‘client’? Are we looking for a ‘difficult’ client but a coach we find easy in terms of being able to work with them?

If the course is slightly different from standard NLP/New code training, such as The Healer Within, does this change things if the outcome is not to work with others as a result of the course?

Posted: 28 October 2009 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  01-10-2009

So in the client role just be your normal, difficult self   They may not work with you again, but you’ve offered a learning experience - cool.

In the coach role how does a beginner offer value, a useful experience, to the ‘client’? Are we looking for a ‘difficult’ client but a coach we find easy in terms of being able to work with them?

On a certification course - everyone is in the same boat. You are encouraged to continually switch partners throoughout the course so you develop flexibility as a coach. Simple rule is to work with as many people as you can.

Michael

‹‹ Arm pump      BBC Horizon: The Secret You ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed