NLP Academy Forums

High IQ
Posted: 11 October 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  23-09-2009

I’ve been working with someone who has an iq of over 190 and is in the top 10 percent.
I have had triuble achiveing a high performance state does any one have any ideas on why this is or is it as simple as making the games more chalangeing?
Kev.

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 12 October 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  23-09-2009

Hi Dave
I used the alphabet game and she seemed to get into flow very quickly,so i then stepped up the intensity .
how ever i found it very difficult to keep her focused on the game i felt that she was feeling a bit silly, that someone like her was standing on one foot waving her hands in the air and i think this is the problem.

I also tried the NASA game but had to stop as she felt sick,allthough she reached a great flow and seemed to enjoy this challenge.
Kev. confused

Posted: 13 October 2009 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  22-09-2009

It would be interesting if IQ proved to have something to do with it and I’d be surprised if it did. I did the alphabet game with one of the most ‘intelligent’ people I know quite recently and she was fairly slow and hopeless to start. I’ve come across quite a few people who are fairly competitive with themselves and this can be an issue initially.

If it does boil down to complexity, there are lots of things you can do with the alphabet game to notch up the difficulty if required. The state you get someone into prior to attempting new code games will impact how quickly they settle into the game. Their perception of your perception will play a part, do you preframe any of your sessions ?

Posted: 14 October 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

The alphabet game was created by two super intelligent people, one John Grinder operates at genius level. I don’t think it’s the intelligence of the player. I suspect it’s the physiology.

If the practitioner has any doubts about the effectiveness of the game for the player i.e this might not work for super intelligent people- the doubt will be present in the Practitioner’s own state and he/she will pass the doubt on. I am NOT suggesting this is the case with you Kevin. 

I am suggesting Practitioners enter a state of high performance when working with others. One of the implicit design variables in the New Code is Practitioner congruency.

Michael

Posted: 14 October 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  23-09-2009

Hi
I think as i look back on the session that i could have framed it better for the client, and i also feel that as i was aware of her high IQ
i should have lead the process a bit better. I think i made a supposition that as some with a high IQ she would pick it up easily and there fore i did not lead as i should have.
Lesson learnt.
Kev.

Posted: 15 October 2009 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

should have lead the process a bit better. I think i made a supposition that as some with a high IQ she would pick it up easily and there fore i did not lead as i should have.

There is no correlation between having a high IQ and a person’s ability to play a New Code game with ease. The variables in the New Code games are

1/ Use of multiple representational systems
2/ Cross lateral processing
3/ Scalability

Some people with a high IQ may find the games easy others might not. You might want to consider Howard Gardener’s work on multiple intelligences. Gardener says IQ tests only measure a certain type of intelligence. Gardener says there are other forms of intelligence that IQ tests do not pick up. Gardner identified 7 forms of intelligence. The first two in the list below link to the questions in an IQ test.

Linguistic intelligence
Logical-mathematical intelligence
Musical intelligence
Bodily-kinesthetic
Spatial ((visual) intelligence
Interpersonal intelligence
Intrapersonal intelligence

Gardner was saying human beings are organisms who possess a basic set of intelligences.

“The theory is an account of human cognition in its fullness. The intelligences provided ‘a new definition of human nature, cognitively speaking’ (Gardner 1999: 44).

“People have a unique blend of intelligences. Howard Gardner argues that the big challenge facing the deployment of human resources ‘is how to best take advantage of the uniqueness conferred on us as a species exhibiting several intelligences”

Source http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm

Later Garderner added 2 more intelligencess - naturalist and existential

Now Gardner’s work is both supported and criticised in the educational and psychological words. However he did open the door for intelligence to be considered in differnt formats than that of the deductive nature of IQ tests.

Enjoy more fun and games

Michael

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed