NLP Academy Forums

Wisdom of the unconscious mind
Posted: 28 September 2009 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  20-09-2009

Hi everyone,

New Code talks of the wisdom of the unconscious.

I realise that ‘the unconscious’ is a metaphor for areas of mind and of ourselves that we don’t always have access to. If I take some assumptions about the unconscious :

It is capable of informing us of contexts where change is desirable (desirable by its own estimation)

It is capable of taking responsibility for making changes.

It has the resources necessary to make those changes, and is capable of actually making the changes.

Are those assumptions accurate ?

If they are, why is it that change doesn’t always occur spontaeniously ? Why is it that a wise system chooses to ignore what it knows needs to be done, and changework then becomes necessary ? A New Code game, or whatever process to achieve what the unconscious itself has suggested needs to happen ?

Thanks for any comments.

Hob

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 28 September 2009 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  22-09-2009
Hobgoblin - 28 September 2009 12:38 AM

Why is it that a wise system chooses to ignore what it knows needs to be done, and changework then becomes necessary ?

I don’t think it does ignore what needs to be done, maybe the signals just aren’t as clear as they could be. Or maybe they are, perhaps we just don’t pay as much attention as we could.

Posted: 29 September 2009 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

Thanks for the explanations, it makes more sense now than before.

So the unconscious is NOT capable of informing us of external contexts where change is desirable, it could not suggest a context to be affected by a new code game ? I got the impression maybe it could from the other new code thread.

Appreciate the replies,  Hob

Posted: 01 October 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  22-09-2009
suzycross - 01 October 2009 10:11 AM

On the subjects of New Code and Subconscious…
John Grinder spoke about some work that scientists have done that prove that the conscious mind reacts 0.2 seconds after the subconsious. I’d like to read more about this. Can anyone help?

you could take a look at this link:

http://www.dichotomistic.com/readings_intro.html

Half way down that page is a link to Benjamin Libets experiments (under the section titled “the cycle of processing”). The direct url is not reproducible (parts of it are parsed out in the forum post) so i can’t link it directly - but I’m sure you will find it interesting.

It has a chronology of experiments conducted by Benjamin Libet into preconscious processing.

Posted: 03 October 2009 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

On the subjects of New Code and Subconscious…
Am I right in saying that what underpins New Code is subconscious communication (i.e. working directly with the subconscious)?

From this month’s video I’d say that you are. Anyone who can’t get the signals is going to be out of luck with the self application. Can I ask, did anyone on your course not get the signals and what happened? would they just fail without this ability?

As someone who has lived most of my life thus far (discounting the several years of high stress) living ‘by feel’ and going with my ‘gut response’, I’m surprised that I’m finding the most challenging part of New Code to be the subconscious communication part. Specifically, communicating with my own subconscious mind.

This might well be that I ignored all the symptoms of stress for about 8 years but I sense there’s more to it than that.

The first challenge for me is giving that part of me a label. Separating the subconscious and conscious mind feels a bit like separating the body and the mind. Surely the mind is ‘all of my mind’. In which case I prefer to say ‘all of my mind’... Haha, as I type this I see it’s linguistics. It is, of course, all of my mind, but is specifically the part that’s not being conscious at this moment in time. I think Michael and Martin may have said that too. Haha. I was listening, honest! Ok, one hurdle down. Next…

I still harbour (and find it comforting to do so) some tiny remnants and fragments of a life of indoctrination (God). It bears no real relevance or connection to this, other than it makes me consider that talking to the subconscious requires a little leap of faith.

So if you had symptoms of stress and ignored them you do get signals but haven’t recognised them for what they are and/or haven’t understood the messages being communicated? You find setting up yes/no signals challenging now?

Does the fact that you consider talking to the subconscious to require a leap of faith make it more challenging to do so? You talk about still harbouring some tiny remnants of a life of indoctrine (faith) which implies you’ve given up on much of it.

Posted: 08 October 2009 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

It does make a lot of sense, and thanks for a detailed reply. I ask a lot of questions, not everyone is that patient.

I haven’t yet found a way to get reliable signals from my own subconscious, congreuntly assuming talking to the subconscious is possible. And I’m considering a course, healer within, which is dependant on subconscious communication - lol. I looked up the bead and string thing and am experimenting, so thanks.

Much of the last paragraph resonates with me. I probably could offer choice to others based on faith provided the person knew it was only that and was ok with it. Faith presented as fact doesn’t sit well with me, I was taught religion and cast it aside very young.

Anyway, off to play with my string grin

H

Posted: 10 October 2009 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  20-09-2009

Looking forward to seeing u and anyone else? at healer within. I’ll look for the person with the string! Apparently we get more details 4-6 weeks before the start, should be interesting.

Still reading through the links, cheers T grin

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed