NLP Academy Forums

3 of 5
the new code change format revisited
Posted: 04 November 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  21-09-2009

Hi njsc,

Your analysis has brought some clarity. I think that on the basis you’ve created I can determine that my perception of the classical form of NCCF is different from yours. Let us start with your initial statement:

njsc - 18 October 2009 03:27 AM

You could create a nondirected graph of states (problem,game,third) and transitions as a table of adjacent vertices:

STATE   ADJACENT_VERTICES
problem (third,game)
game     (problem)
third     (problem)

The typical route is: 
third->problem->game->problem.

I think its correct form should be as follows:

STATE   ADJACENT_VERTICES
problem           (third,separator state,game)
separator state (problem,game)
game               (separator state,problem)
third                 (problem)

The typical route is: 
third->problem->separator state->game->problem.

Adding the separator state - possibly similar to your sanctuary or associated present - to the description already at the beginning of reasoning influences the rest of it. In my opinion the yucky state is not the problem in the associated past position (I have never experienced such a problem) which is, by the way, always followed by the sanctuary/separator state in rather different location. It is however the problem in the dissociated past position which through too much (maybe sometimes unavoidable) association gets “yucky”. If it gets, you have to (or might want to) “shake it off” to get a clean third. One probably can do it without moving the player, too. I would, then, interpret the double triangle and the cycle on the graphic a bit differently.
So, any modification of the NCCF I could think of has the above description as a reference point.

njsc - 02 November 2009 02:58 AM

One thing that is interesting is whether the game creates a change in the problem state, the problem context,the problem behavior, or neither until the person walks back to the location of their old problem anchor. Anyway, that has to do with spatial anchoring, and the details of its use.

I think that if in the first sentence you meant the time and space between the end of the game and the moment of reaching the problem/collapsed anchors position, we are in perfect agreement here.

njsc - 02 November 2009 02:58 AM

Personally, I think the motivation to explore verbal reports of submodalities (for example, panorama, depth) would be better used to identify physiological changes in body operation that the exercise itself provides.

I think we agree here, too. smile Or, maybe, I tend to consider multiple description to be most useful. wink Anyway, the reason for posting about the story of A was that unexpected simultaneity of perceptual positions. The report about submodalities had rather an ilustratory function. I suspect that sole manipulation of space can cause a similar occurance of simultaneity after the game (supposedly more easily achievable in HPS).
What do you think?

Dymitr

[ Edited: 04 November 2009 11:54 PM by dymitr ]
Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 05 November 2009 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

My remark about the triangle and the cycle was of minor importance. Please, read this: http://www.itanlp.com/newcode.php
The rest can wait

Posted: 05 November 2009 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009
njsc - 05 November 2009 06:09 AM

Uh, huh, nothing new there.

I might have read you wrong - it seemed to me that the idea of the separator state before the game was new to you.

If you don’t like Carroll’s version,

Which one? that with the separator state or without it?

or you think the separator state is necessary, or you think it is unnecessary,

So far I have never worked without it - the idea of removing it comes from you. I assume that its absence in Michael’s post was due to the context and his intention at that moment. I think he saw its presence as obvious, but I might be wrong, of course.

along with third, or a return to a context state, then none of that is clear.

I have never worked without the third, either. The remark about its cleanness comes from Toby - I do not have a specific opinion about it. I interprete the story of A as an example of an incomplete return to the context. The result on the spot was interesting and I am awaiting the real life results.

At this point, do you have somewhere you want to take our conversation?

Yes, I think I would propose that the sole criterion for judging any pattern is whether the pattern works, or, in another words, whether it satisfies certain shared intention.

If you’re interested, you could share something about your reasons for wanting to remove anchors from the process.

Why do you think I want to remove anchors?

I think I would learn from the discussion, and I’d get my question from my prior post, answered. What’s more, I’ve offered a lot of my own thinking and opinions,

I suspected that part of your thinking and opinions might have started from the false premises - that is why I asked you to read the ITA site. If the separator state presence in the format before the game is correct (in terms of being faithful to the classical form of NCCF), then I do not see much space for the cycle as you describe it. I said that my remark about the triangle and the cycle was of minor importance because I had never detected such a problem (as a real problem) in practice, whether connected with getting clean associated or dissociated past experience (i.e. clean first or third).

so some of yours in the particular directions we’ve gone is now due here, hopefully with the disclosure and specificity I’ve provided.

I have an impression that we went in rather opposite directions. First of all, I do not see any advantage of removing the separator state from before the game, rather on the contrary. I do not think that I am going to experiment with such a removal but if you find any practical advantage of separator-state-less over separator-state-ful format I would be the first to use it.
If it comes to my direction away from the classical form of NCCF as I see it, it is in a way as speculative as yours (I keep my interpretation of Michael’s words about the NCCF until falsified). I was going to experiment first and then write something (or not smile)... I could be most specific about it if you wanted, though.

Posted: 06 November 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009
njsc - 06 November 2009 01:52 AM

Whatever. You’re baiting me,

This has not been my intention ever.

but you have nothing to offer. I offered my thinking and opinions, you barely hint at yours.

I shared my opinion about your thoughts, whether I found them right, false or irrelevant. I trust you can make a good use of it.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier, that is, stick with what’s been tested and proven to work.

That is actually what I am trying to do most of the time. Plus some experiments I find safe. There is (probably) one more difference between us: we differ in our views concerning the “canonic” version of New Code Change Format as proposed by the authorities, specifically Michael Carroll - at least you have not shown any acceptance for the idea that the version with the separator state before the game is actually his, too. I do not say that the version without it is wrong. I am entirely ignorant here since anyway my interest is somewhere else.

Frankly, my interest in the games does not come from experience with the “NCCF”,

NCCF=New Code Change Format. I recognise its classical form to be the same as in Michael’s article on the website I was suggesting you to read.

or if I were to take a training with Michael and company,  I would not leave it and then announce my interest in changing the fundamental process based on some experiment of mine.

If it comes to this context, I have not left anybody smile

If my experiments showed difference in what I would expect, then I would doubt how I ran the process, rather than the process itself.

If you keep doubting both, we agree here.

I doubt how you run the process, I doubt how you would find theory justified or explained by how you run the process,

So do I smile

and I doubt that you are willing to subject your analyses to scrutiny enough to determine if they are any good.

Why?

The person who’s supposed to supply alternative explanations for your experimental results is you, but if you’re going to post and rely on others to do it, then put forward what you think happened, and why you think your explanation supports your interpretation, and that the experiment itself was a success.

Good point. I thought that I was quite explicit about it. I think you missed the change in perspective: my personal success was to find out why I got so obsessed with the third after the game - because I had unconsciously observed the third in that moment in the format. It did not exactly match what you might call “the teachings”.

Otherwise, you should probably be more interested in finding out what in heck you did wrong. That would be humility.

Perfect agreement. Hope so I did. I found out that one of the responsible factors or variables was the mutual location of each essential activity during the format and angles between the lines connecting them. You rather do not get the third after the game if the player enters the context from entirely different direction each time, unless… you overlook the problem with the size of the constructed image. smileI certainly have overlooked it at the first moment but I was able to correct my (in a way blessed) mistake…

It’s all well and good to say you will prove things in experience,

Surprisingly - if I am not mistaken - we are less in agreement here. I am rather interested in falsifying them in experience. If they resist I treat them - temporarily - as possibly true.

the trouble is, you have to rationalize what you are proving in terms of the theory you started from, and you don’t provide your thoughts about the theory nor your interpretation of its function, you parry and don’t thrust in your explanations, do you know what I mean?

With the above objection, but I would generally agree on the normative part of your statement. On the other hand: does the question of an angle need a theory?

Provide the point, your thoughts on third,

So, once again: some of the players see their own constructed image right after finishing the game, ie they stay for a while in the third position while walking back to the context. One of the factors responsible for that phenomenon is the angle between the direction from which they enter their context (your location 2) before and after the game. I have never found any written description of that phenomenon. Now we can map the possibilities onto the tree: 1. either that phenomenon is of minor importance from the point of view of the benefit of the player or convenience or the other benefit of the coach, or it has an influence which is not negligible; 2. if it has a considerable influence, it can be either positive or negative, or rather - it can diminish or increase the effect of the new code game.
Then the question is what kind of additional factors could influence that influence winkThe candidate I am interested in now is the time the player could spend in the transition from the third into the first position.

what is your experiment meant to test,

The friend of mine, A, has actually accidentally finished his format in such a transition. Given a choice between two perceptual positions in a high performance state he has chosen the simultaneous access to them - that is how I interprete the result which I have already described in different words.
The next experiment(s) is(are) meant to challenge the following statement: “the activities between the game and reentering the context should be reduced as much as possible in order to prevent the degradation of state achieved during the game”.
So if we equate the locations: game=1, problem(context, first)=2, explicit third=3; the angle 3-2-1 should be sharp in order to evoke implicit third after the game (you probably should prequalify players, too, to make the procedure easier). The tempo of walking back into the location 2 should be not too quick in order to help the player to experience and the coach to callibrate the moment of the transition between the third and the first perceptual position and its location on the line 1-2.
We would then callibrate the size of the first position or context zone. The next step is to see whether we could get the simultaneity similar to the one we know from the story of A, if the player stopped walking back to the context on the border of the context zone. If we got that simultaneity, we could then observe the nonverbal responses accompanying it as well as the real life effects afterwards.
I would personally take into account both, the callibration made by the coach and verbal reports of the player, while judging the results.

or why claim to be working with the new code format at all if that’s what you want to justify your experiment in terms of,

I hope it is clear now.

OR, would you like to get specific about the why’s of your what, rather than “oh, I had a hunch”,

Oh yes, I had a hunch (without oh), and I was quite explicit about the area where there might be something left to discover.

and “oh, problems are actually experienced from disociated third”,

I do not think I have ever said it - could you please find the exact quotation?

without just following on and explaining what you mean when you’re asked about the point of interest, how YOU are talking about changing the format.

I do not think I am going to change the format, at least not very much. The part with the angles perfectly fits the classical description of NCCF (at least does not contradict it), but yes, the idea of asking the player to stop walking back on the border of the context zone is more brave and it is new (in terms of chronology). You would learn it anyway without asking, only later.

It’s my time here reading what you’ve got to say, presenting what I thought out, but you leave your thoughts out, so quit doing it, or quit responding to me. Thanks.

I assure you that if what you do is not a provocative treatment chosen to help me (personally, I would find the provocative part not necessary if one asked about its influence on me wink), I am really sorry for you feelings. Talking to you actually helps me to get some of my thoughts more clear, so I do not have any egoistic motive to stop responding your posts. However, I respect your free will to stop responding mine, if you find our conversation fruitless. I would regret it, though. Of course, I reserve the right to stop responding yours, whenever I find our conversation fruitless.

[ Edited: 06 November 2009 10:51 PM by dymitr ]

Posted: 10 November 2009 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

njsc,

Thank you very much for you honesty. I think it helps in making right decisions, at least so I hope.

First of all, honesty for honesty. One of the remarks from my previous post could be misleading: I said that I had not left Michael and company: because I had never joined the company, at least not before joining this forum. So it can probably limit my credibility in your eyes - I prefer it to be limited than falsely overestimated. Anyway, anything what I am going to write here can be corrected by the authorities on this forum.

Please, correct me if I am wrong: I understood that you have never conducted the New Code change format. I think we would bark up the wrong tree and lose a plenty of time if we started from an experimental modification of the format without you knowing the original format good enough in practice. I could do my best, however, to share with you my - little - experience in playing the games with friends. If you are not going to attend any relevant course in the nearest future, it might be an optimal way for you to gain some experience yourself with your friends. And that experience could answer some of your further questions itself.
You might start from looking at these files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5byx0IKwSbA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_vF51n7a0. I think they are a good example of games conducted properly and interrupted at the right moment.

My sole intention is to make you able to “get it” (ie my modification) as soon as possible. I think I propose you a shortest way to achieve it. I do not find an efficient description for the drawing in the (supposed) present situation. I think the presentation of my modification now might interfere with learning the original format, too.

Thank you for finding the exact quotation of mine - it helped me in correcting my initial false understanding of your question. I feel it is a bit outside the topic of this thread - would you mind if I answered it on the thread you have authored?

Hope to hear from you soon smile

Dymitr

Posted: 10 November 2009 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Hi Suzy smile

It is really nice to hear from you smile
Unfortunately, I cannot attend Healer this time… You can imagine how much I regret it.
I’d be very much interested in you perception of that seminar
Cheers smile

Dymitr

Posted: 11 November 2009 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Honestly - I doubt that you are really interested

Posted: 13 November 2009 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

njsc,

The size of the file with the drawing is too big for the site. Sorry

Posted: 17 November 2009 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  22-09-2009
Suzy Cross - 09 November 2009 12:09 AM

Dymitr, Toby - are you going to ‘Healer’ by any chance? I’d be interested in chatting about the New Code experiences you’ve had if you are.

Suzy

Hi Suzy, unfortunately not, I’d love to go but am already over committed time wise on several things. I’m sure there will be other opportunities to discuss new code experiences. I noticed your post about the midlands practice group - I’m based in the midlands but your target location is probably a little east of where I can comfortably get to regularly, perhaps when you get it running I can come to the odd meeting, I’ll keep an eye out for your developments.

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

njsc,

I promise to get back to you as soon as I solve the problem with the size of the file with the drawing. I would like you to remember, however, that the modification to which it refers does not have to turn out to be successful wink
You can read about the other side of the problem with the third in my reply to Michael below.
All the best

Dymitr

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Dear Michael,

It took me a bit of time to figure out what kept me in sticking to the idea of the explicit third after the game. This post is at least a partial fulfilment of my promise that I would write something when my thinking about that explicit third became clearer. I hope this has happened.
In my reply to Toby, preceding your first post on this thread, I formulated a „daring thought” that the simplistic version of the format, third-game-third, could work, too. I think it was a direct reason for you to post about the invalidity of the format which lacks crashing HPS with the context perceived from the first position.
However, I wrote about the mentioned version in a very specific context of our conversation with Toby, after he had asked me about the „clean third” problem. As far as I understand him, the contamination of the third were the bits of association, ie the first position. You ask for the third and you get the first at least in addition.
In that very context I did not mean the third literally. I was rather referring to the explicit requests of the coach, not the player’s/client’s response. (There is a certain limited, heuristic similarity with the njsc’s distinction between external and internal anchors from his second post on this thread here).
Indeed, if the third the coach asks for is not clean, it might be not necessary to create an extra anchor for the first position. We might directly jump into the separator state and create an atmosphere of preparation or „warming up”. This atmosphere could continue throughout the game. After the game you just ask (or manouevre) the player to „rest” at the same position s/he had started the format.
An advantage of this version of the format consists in a very little space for resistance and a playful frame. The player hardly gets overloaded with the theoretical information and may even not notice going through any format before finishing it.
This version of the format needs a careful callibration. One has to know whether the third is not actually the first, too, and act accordingly.
I would be very much interested in your thoughts

Dymitr

Posted: 17 November 2009 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

Hi Dymitr

Firstly I would like to compliment you on your initiation and ongoing contribution to this thread. You have put your case across very well.

If someone is routinely challenged in getting a clean third- bringing a HP state to third would be a useful option. I think generalising the format would have limitations.

Way back in the thread - you mentioned you discussed the process shortly after a game with the player reviewing the first position representation’s from an implicit third. When a client plays a new code game - you do not usually review the first position afterwards as such a review potentially disrupts the process. The client waits until he/she is back in the context and just experiences what happens - which is usually something very different than the old choice and what the client anticipated would happen.

Michael

Posted: 18 November 2009 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Hi Michael,

It is over and over surprising how much anchoring power is possessed by nice words smile. Thank you.

Coming back to work, when you speak about interviewing:
1. Do you mean interviewing after the game or after the format?
2. Do you mean interviewing about the content, process, or both?
What I did was interviewing after the format and just about the process, not content.

Dymitr

Posted: 25 November 2009 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

Hi njsc,

I have finally reduced the drawings and they fit. I don’t have time for explanations now - I will try to write about them as soon as I can.
Sorry for the quality.

Dymitr

Image Attachments
njsc1.jpgnjsc2.jpg

Posted: 26 November 2009 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  21-09-2009

njsc,

Here a few words about first drawing. It refers to the story of A. In short, A, a friend of mine, went through the format intended to be strictly classical. However it turned out to be not so: the bigger figure on the drawing represents A himself in the final step of the format and the small figure is his previously constructed image. A is looking downwards at his own little image plus the context not included here (third position) and at the same time he is experiencing the context from the first position. How he could do it simultaneously I have no clue about, the only suspicion is that HPS has made it somehow possible. Anyway, while visiting the „context zone” for the first time, he had been experiencing the context from the first position only. Since the „choice” of accessing both perceptual positions simultaneously has been made in a high performance state, I assume that it has had some advantages over accessing only the first.
It follows that an effort could be made to enable other players to choose such a simultaneous access after the game.
I am going to comment the second drawing soon smile
Take care smile

Dymitr

3 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed