NLP Academy Forums

Bringing what is Unconscious to Conscious Awareness
Posted: 10 April 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  20-01-2011

Hi All!

I’ve recently finished my premier practitioner with the Academy and have been experimenting on the N-step reframe. So more or less, I’ve been working on unconscious signals, both of my own and with other people who do want some change in their lives. It’s been going amazing and the results are fantastic! In my experience, some strange things did happen and some mysteries showed themselves and I’d really appreciate any help with this!

A common technique we were taught during our practitioner was when working with pain, or other signals, would be to ask the conscious if the signal was for something that it wanted us to do, or change (e.g. for pain, changing the way we sit, etc.). I was doing some self-application of this and I asked my unconscious to bring into my conscious awareness what it wanted me to do. It said yes and I was waiting for quite some time for the sudden eureka moment but it didn’t come. Then I decided to get more creative and I asked if it had the resources available to bring whatever it is, intention, a task for me, or what not, into my conscious awareness and it said No. I asked it again if it could obtain the resources by itself and once again I got a No. I asked it if there was a way and it said Yes. Now, as to how I would discover what way this is, I am at a loss for the unconscious to bring it into conscious awareness was not an option as when I asked, it said it still couldn’t bring this into my awareness.

So how exactly would you work with an obstacle like this? What process can we do to increase choice in this matter?

Cheers!

- Bym

Want to join in with this discussion? Please Login or Register.

Posted: 12 April 2011 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-10-2009

Your unconscious won’t always have the resources it needs to achieve the changes your looking for. It can play games as well. Mine is is a cheeky so and so at times. Sometimes I make promises that I don’t keep so its possible the unconscious will learn this pattern as well. If it cannot obtain the resources by itself it sounds like from what you have written that it needs you to do something first in order for some learnings to take place.

BymB - 10 April 2011 10:45 PM

I asked it if there was a way and it said Yes

So this is one way don’t you think? Seeing as you are New code trained an emphasis is placed upon the unconscious as the place to be for the selection and deployment of resources. First qestion: Why do you want the selected behaviour to be brought into conscious awareness? It might be easier if you gave the original presented pattern a go first in terms of asking it to select one or however many new behaviours you want that satisfy the intention without you neding to have any conscious awareness of it what so ever. See how you get on with that first and let us know how you got on. It does take some detective work and creativity through the process. I’ve found the conscious version of the n step more useful for the bigger stuff probably because my unconscious needs to start learning stuff it might not of known how to do left to its own devices. Also i’m not sure if they are presenting the pattern differently now either so let me know if “the original pattern” comment I made was confusing and i’ll explain the process that was presented to me. I’ve got quite a few possible ways around this so Good luck and have fun Bym its a shame more new new coders don’t utilise the forum as much as it could be. Alistair

Posted: 12 April 2011 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  20-01-2011
Alistair_Donnell - 12 April 2011 07:35 AM

Mine is is a cheeky so and so at times. Sometimes I make promises that I don’t keep so its possible the unconscious will learn this pattern as well.

Definitely! I’ve experienced the same thing.

In response to what you said about the “original pattern”, it’s still taught that way so no worries there! I got what you meant and thank you for that. I had forgotten that option of generating different alternatives. I will try that as soon as I can and keep you posted.

With regards to my intention for wanting to have things brought into my conscious awareness, it was partly because of curiosity and because when asked if there was something that my unconscious wanted me to do, it replied with a Yes. I was thinking that to satisfy whatever it is, I would have to be consciously aware. I will try the different alternatives to satisfy the intention option and see what happens!

Thanks for your feedback Alistair!

It’s much appreciated.

- Bym

Posted: 13 April 2011 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  09-10-2009

Cool. It will want you to do something it, even if it is just allowing it to do its work without you ignoring the “signals” for action if that makes sense. It’ll be nice to know how you get on. Not sure if I have neglected the n step or whether it is better integrated now but haven’t used the formal pattern for a while so may just have another play. Cheers Bym, enjoy your journey

Posted: 23 April 2011 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

Hi Bym

It’s good to see you here and great to hear you are putting in some self application.

A common technique we were taught during our practitioner was when working with pain, or other signals, would be to ask the conscious if the signal was for something that it wanted us to do, or change (e.g. for pain, changing the way we sit, etc.). I was doing some self-application of this and I asked my unconscious to bring into my conscious awareness what it wanted me to do. It said yes and I was waiting for quite some time for the sudden eureka moment but it didn’t come.

We taught a series of different formats for working with the unconscious utilising involuntary signals.  Often the formats take the form of a negation with the unconscious. The n/6 step is just one of these formats.

When negotiating with the unconscious its best to be very specific and follow up with the time frame if there is further work to be done. For example you will have seen me conduct a demo at the course where we got a ‘no’ when I asked the question is your unconscious willing to take responsibility for implementing the changes. (6 step reframe). To follow on from this, I asked was similar to the one you asked of your own unconscious - ‘is there anything your unconscious wants you to pay attention to before implementing the changes?’ To this question we got a yes signal. The next question was ‘is your unconscious willing to communicate to you into consciousness in the next 24 hours what it wants you to pay attention to?’ To this question we got a yes. Last question was ‘ask your unconscious to signal through the yes signal when it presents what it wants you to pay attention to?
In the above scenario, an agreement and time frame was set up with the unconscious, all verified through the signal

Bym, like all negotiations it’s all in the precision of the questions - that occur in the sub stages of each pattern.

Re conscious negotiation comment; Alistair-this defeats the whole process and is at odds with the core principles of New Code.  Conscious selection of resources was one of the core problems identified in the classic code. It does work, but there are often problems with ecology and generalisation. I have used signal negotiations with the unconscious for working with cancer, diabetes, lupus, lymes disease to name a few. We would have never got a change using the conscious mind. Here is a link for an example where a conscious intervention would never have got the result the unconscious did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3I4Km2UQc

Regards

Michael

[ Edited: 23 April 2011 06:28 AM by Michael Carroll ]

Posted: 06 May 2011 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  09-10-2009

Apologies. I should have communicated more clearly. By the conscious version of the N step I meant a form of the intention/consequence model (John’s own intention consequence model). What I do with that is; state a behaviour that does not serve you as well as it could , then intention, then cycle through all the consequences you can think of consciously. Then consciously write down as many alternative behaviours you can think of and pick one to do. The unconscious version can easily be incorporated into the process for example requesting that the unconscious picks one of those behaviours. Using a conscious mind to imagine a wide range of alternative behaviours may offer some behaviours that the unconscious would never had chosen and hence expand it’s repertoire as it were. If it is a fear based issue for example I struggle to see how the unconscious would select resources to place you in the fear situation ie face the thing you fear, that makes no sense to me although I am happy to be educated as always. Thinking about it you would never use it for something like ptsd or phobias as an intervention in itself. Sometimes conscious mind investigations need to take place otherwise “therapy” would never be needed everyone could just use the n step as standard. And, lets face it, why on earth would consciousness have evolved in the first place had it not been beneficial for survival?

I don’t find it useful to stick to a single class of principles with my work personally although I understand and appreciate your objection as the post exists within the new code section. I use what works when something doesn’t which is why I will utilise the conscious version as I have drawn a blanks many, many times with the n step. I have also had significantly greater success with it for the stuff that I have worked with. With blindingly and I do mean blindingly good results.

I do not agree that the unconscious always knows what to do for best especially if people have trained it in less than useful ways, it can give you the run around which I have already hinted at. I know this through my own personal experience, not principles. Other people have discovered this for themselves as well. John frequently encouraged us to go out and test the patterns for ourselves so this is what I do for myself and my clients. Self - application, congruence and behavioural flexibility, that’s kudos to your new code trainings at the academy and perfectly in line with some of the main principles of new code. Depends on what you pay attention to I suppose

This is what I use:

A powerful diary for change

This journal is designed to continually refine more effective ways of achieving what you want with increasingly less undesired consequences. It is important that you do not analyse anything, give any reasons, excuses or be dishonest with yourself. Just be as descriptive as you can be. Honesty is essential here otherwise you are just self – editing and not working on the thing/s you are seeking to change. Throughout the day when any behaviour occurs that leads to undesired consequences you follow the format below. This will eventually build up a picture of your patterns of behaviour so that you can do them differently. Behaviours can be internal for example – worry, guilt, anger etc as well as external events such as behaviours you do when interacting with those around you. When something undesired comes up you state your behaviour, explore the intention for the behaviour and evaluate what different behaviours you could have done instead in the following format:

1) Context (the situation where this occurred keep it brief and to the point)
By identifying the contexts in which the behaviours occur you can begin to build up a picture for where you are more likely to behave in this way. For example you may be assertive outside of work but may lack assertion while at work. You may be assertive at work but lack assertion in a relationship. You may drink more in a social setting than when you are alone.
2) Behaviour
This is simply a statement of the behaviour that deep down you know isn’t serving you as well as it could. It is important that you do not do any analysis of the behaviour, come up with reasons for the behaviour or justify the behaviour in any way. Your behaviours do not define you as a person they are just something that you currently do. Once you learn to be dirt level honest with yourself this starts to become apparent as you begin to experience more efficient ways of behaving. The world will change around you because you are behaving in a different way, which will lead to different responses from people as they adapt to your behaviour. If the behaviours just affect yourself for example avoiding things you thought you were scared of you may find you are not actually scared of it at all once you begin to experience it for yourself rather than avoiding the experience.
3) Feeling – where about is it, what does it feel like? Describe the feeling as close to the physical sensation and physical location as possible
It is important to be as descriptive as possible when you describe the feeling. By being descriptive I mean a physical description of the feeling. There is a very important intention behind this. When you use words such as “anxiety” you may be misinterpreting your bodies signals. For example many people mistake anxiety for excitement. As soon as you misinterpret excitement for anxiety the excitement can quickly turn into anxiety because you may start to feel anxious about being excited without realising it.

4) Intention (for what purpose did you do the behaviour?)
This is fairly self-explanatory just state what you were attempting to achieve from the behaviour. Maybe you bought something to feel better. Maybe you drink to relax. Maybe you try to change your children’s behaviour and not yours because you think that will get them to behave better.

6) Consequences (what were the undesired consequences for doing that behaviour)
If you are honest (and the diary is pointless if you are not) this is where you can begin to see the undesirable consequences of your actions. Maybe you drink too much at parties with the intention of calming your nerves but this then ends up with you making a fool of yourself. Maybe you have deluded yourself that buying things makes you feel better when in actual fact the feeling lasts a couple of minutes with the consequences of not seeking action for the thing you are hiding from.

7) Other behaviours that satisfy the intention with less undesired consequences (it is important that you consider alternative behaviours whether you currently perceive that you can do them or not. The purpose of this is increase your capability of exercising choice in situations)
This is also fairly self-explanatory. By entertaining other behaviours your mind begins to learn how to be flexible. You will need to actually do at least one of the alternatives for the diary to be effective and continually lead to generative change. In saying that though brainstorm as many as you can think of just to give you mind options. You may find yourself spontaneously doing them without putting conscious effort in to it. Going through this whole process can eventually lead to doing it automatically without the formal need for writing this down. This is what is referred to as behavioural flexibility meaning you learn to respond more and more effectively in the areas you would like to, to get the desired outcomes you are looking for

Posted: 07 May 2011 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  01-10-2009

Apologies. I should have communicated more clearly. By the conscious version of the N step I meant a form of the intention/consequence model (John’s own intention consequence model). What I do with that is; state a behaviour that does not serve you as well as it could , then intention, then cycle through all the consequences you can think of consciously. Then consciously write down as many alternative behaviours you can think of and pick one to do.

OK, the intention -consequence model is a different class of interventions. At the Practitioner you attended Carmen taught intention -consequence, as she usually she does - it closely relates to her work on trigger points and personal editing.

Conscious visualisations are perfectly legitimate and not in conflict with the New Code. As you commented elsewhere in your post you can always verify your conscious choice with your signal. Last Wednesday, I run a practice group called Self Coaching the essence of the evening was conscious preview (morning work) and review (evening work). The formats include intention - consequence and conscious selection of new choices at the editing phase.

I don’t find it useful to stick to a single class of principles with my work personally although I understand and appreciate your objection as the post exists within the new code section. I use what works when something doesn’t which is why I will utilise the conscious version as I have drawn a blanks many, many times with the n step.

Anyone who is effective in this business, would not stick to a single class of interventions. I have been doing change work with clients and teaching this material for 17 years, it’s always evolving and I create new stuff and new ways to teach it. At your Practitioner course you were exposed to a complete range of interventions from classic, new code, time lines some of these lean more to the conscious and others the unconscious. It’s good to see you adapting the core material to create your own style. You do what works, I like that. The caveat is the unconscious is an incredible resource bank and when you create clean signals you can do so much.

I do not agree that the unconscious always knows what to do for best especially if people have trained it in less than useful ways, it can give you the run around which I have already hinted at. I know this through my own personal experience, not principles. Other people have discovered this for themselves as well. John frequently encouraged us to go out and test the patterns for ourselves so this is what I do for myself and my clients. Self - application, congruence and behavioural flexibility, that’s kudos to your new code trainings at the academy and perfectly in line with some of the main principles of new code. Depends on what you pay attention to I suppose

Sure the unconscious can you give you the run around and if you shift to intention when getting the run around - you often get answers. It’s all a negotiation. Remember the unconscious mind does not exist, it’s just a metaphor for off line resources. Following the metaphor -you learned to walk and talk unconsciously. If you cut yourself you heal unconsciously, in a know nothing states you perform at high levels, so the unconscious has a lot going for it for soemthing that doesnt exist.

Regarding your comment about fear contexts - watch this clip for an example of n step using a strong physiological signal that was already present http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3I4Km2UQc

Your diary model is nice application that incorprates many new code principals (very Carmen and is similar to a peice I do in the Butterfly Effect). You have gone to a higher logical level and picking bits and peices from different places to create your own tapestry. Recognise the body sensation in step 3 are involantary signals and thus can be used in many ways, particularly pattern detection and shunts.

Good to see you here Alistair

Michael

Posted: 09 May 2011 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  09-10-2009
Michael Carroll - 07 May 2011 06:56 AM

The caveat is the unconscious is an incredible resource bank and when you create clean signals you can do so much.

I’ll definitely take that on board. In my own personal journey at the risk of telling “stories” it’s taken conscious resources to organise myself in the first place. A lot of the stuff I have worked on has fallen back into the “unconscious” to the point that I have had no conscious awareness of what it is I have actually achieved. I say “had” because I had a really interesting discussion which began to pull it all back out again which is fascinating but not to be shared at this time.

Your diary model is nice application that incorprates many new code principals (very Carmen and is similar to a peice I do in the Butterfly Effect). You have gone to a higher logical level and picking bits and peices from different places to create your own tapestry.

Yep, definitely very Carmen (full credit for all contributers are on my blog, second piece I wrote I think).

Recognise the body sensation in step 3 are involantary signals and thus can be used in many ways, particularly pattern detection and shunts.

That’s an interesting distinction. I’ll play around with this. It’s really interesting that getting to know the basics is the key to everything!

Good to see you here Alistair

Thanks Michael. One thing I have learned over the past… Year maybe is that it is useful to step in and out of containers of thinking/doing - paradigms and the clearer/tighter you can be in each one for me means that I can be clearer in general. Kinda like epistemological perceptual positions. Ace smile

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed